Bill 30, Labour Relations Code Amendment
Bill 30, Labour Relations Code Amendment: Green Party Leader Andrew Weaver was instrumental in passing the sub amendment to the Bill introduced by Greg Kyllo, which reduces the “raiding” open period in construction from July and August every year to once every three years only.
BCCA played a significant role in educating Andrew Weaver on the issues of concern to our industry.
- The sub-amendment was passed 44-40
- To quote excerpts from Andrew Weaver in the House today:
- “Over the last few months, my colleagues, staff and I engaged with numerous stakeholders to develop a deeper understanding about the various forces at play in this issue of labour policy. The B.C. Green caucus understands the profoundly unique nature of the construction industry.
- We understand that there are unions like CMAW, like IUOE and others who actually are end-to-end project unions. We know, also, that present rules within the B.C. Federation of Labour do not allow unions to raid other unions in the Federation. So in the spirit of fairness and openness and transparency, this, to us, must be collectively addressed.
- More than anything, we believe, as a caucus, that we must end this ideological tug-of-war that has been allowed to take place in our province for far too long. It is not about union versus employer. We need a level playing field, one that’s grounded in evidence, not in ideology.”