June 5, 2020
BC Construction Sector Awards to Recognize Workplace Diversity
Victoria, BC (June 5, 2020) – The BC Construction Association (BCCA), with the support of Minerva BC, today opened nominations for the 2nd annual Builders Code Champion Awards, which celebrate BC companies that are proactively addressing issues of the issues of equity, discrimination, and harassment in BC’s construction sector.
Recently, there has been increased fear and anxiety caused by COVID-19 and its economic implications and this has led to increased discrimination and bias towards visible minority communities and other underrepresented groups in British Columbia.
The Champion Awards recognize companies that are taking proactive measures to increase equity, diversity, and inclusion in their workplaces, while also working to eliminate discrimination, hazing, bullying, and harassment. Nominated individuals and organizations must also demonstrate their commitment, leadership, and action towards advancing and retaining women in their company as part of the provincial goal of achieving 10% tradeswomen by 2028.
“We want to recognize the efforts of industry innovators that are creating safe and healthy environments for all on-site, regardless of gender, race, religion, or ethnicity,”
said Chris Atchison, President, BC Construction Association. “They serve as great examples to companies of all sizes that there are easily implemented and effective measures they can take to increase worker retention.”
The nomination process for the Builders Code Champion Awards will be open from June 4 to October 28th, 2020, featuring a new streamlined, easy-to-use, online application process and form available here.
“Winning a 2019 Champion Award really motivated Chinook Scaffold to find additional ways to promote the inclusion of women in the workplace,” said Wendy Gaskill, Corporate Safety Management Team, Chinook Scaffold. “It has opened doors for us to partner with training institutions and provided collaboration opportunities with other forward-thinking companies. We commend the BCCA and the Builder’s Code for recognizing and addressing the under-representation of tradeswomen in BC.”
The Builders Code Champion Award categories include:
- Recruiting & Hiring Champion: Recognizes companies that: hire the best talent based on skills, experience, and attitude; work to attract diverse candidates; look for ways to remove barriers that hold them back; and compensate all employees at fair market value regardless of gender, race, religion, or ethnicity.
- Workplace Culture Champion: Recognizes companies that: commit to a respectful, safe and inclusive workplace culture; encourage employees to recognize their role in that culture; and hold employees and sub-contractors accountable, ensuring a work environment free from harassment, hazing, and bullying.
- Community Champion: Recognizes companies that: promote career opportunities for women in the skilled trades; support their tradespeople to mentor others; and promote education, awareness, and training that positively impacts their community, company, and employees.
- Initiate of the Year: Recognizes companies that: introduced diversity policies this year; are committed to building an Acceptable Worksite; and are working to create a construction sector that works for everyone.
- Contractor of the Year: Recognizes companies that: are fully committed to achieving an Acceptable Worksite and building a diverse workforce where all employees are able to perform at their best and reach their full potential.
“Since the 2019 awards, the Builders Code has extended more training for our foremen and supervisors, which has continually opened up the conversation of ensuring all worksites are acceptable,” said Taylor Manhas, Safety Coordinator, Westcana Electric. “We would like to thank the Builders Code for recognizing the gap, providing measures to ensure acceptable worksites, and promoting women in trades throughout our construction industry.”
The 2nd annual Builders Code Champion Awards will be judged by a panel comprised of Minerva BC, the BCCA, and the Builders Code Governance Committee, with the celebration event tentatively scheduled for December 2020, depending on Provincial Health Officer orders on mass gathering.
For more information about the Builders Code Champion Awards visit www.builderscode.ca/recognition/
ABOUT THE BUILDERS CODE
The Builders Code is an initiative of the Construction Workforce Equity Project. Co-funded by the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training, with financial contributions from the BC Construction Association, WorkSafe BC, the Industry Training Authority, LNG Canada, the BCCA Employee Benefits Trust, and the BC Construction Safety Alliance, the Builders Code is also supported by the BC’s four Regional Construction Associations and the Minerva Foundation of BC. For more information about the Builders Code, please visit: https://www.builderscode.ca
ABOUT BRITISH COLUMBIA CONSTRUCTION ASSOCIATION
The British Columbia Construction Association (BCCA) works with four Regional Construction Associations (NRCA, SICA, VICA, and VRCA) to serve more than 10,000 employers in the provinces industrial, commercial, institutional (ICI) construction industry. For more information, visit us at www.bccassn.com (website), @ThisisBCCA (Facebook), and @thisisBCCA (Twitter).
– 30 –
BC Construction Association